Over the past couple years, I have loved cooking up new dishes and sharing them here on Kitchen Notes. I couldn't have known what to expect when I first started this site after Thanksgiving back in 2006 (2006?? Yikes!). From culinary school, to kids' cooking classes, to a little baking work at a local restaurant, it has been an exciting adventure to say the least!
Lately, though, my posts have been few and far between. I still love trying out new recipes as much as ever, but I've been more and more focused on the new adventures in my life. Things like...
A baby on the way! She's due on November 20, right around Thanksgiving. We can't wait for that Little Turkey to make her big arrival!
A new house! Who knew that picking paint colors, organizing closets, and unpacking boxes could be such a blast? (Really!)
Catching up with loved ones. Quality time with friends and family has been so important lately and there just aren't enough hours in the day! We were lucky enough to meet up with friends recently for a San Francisco getaway and it was the highlight of the summer! I guarantee you, there were lots of laughs, fun, and good food (especially our dinner at Chez Panisse!)
With all of these new and exciting developments, it's been harder and harder to find time to sit down at the computer. There's just too much fun to be had right now and I don't want to miss a thing! So although I'll still be cooking up a storm (and figuring out how to fit all of my stuff into the new kitchen), I'm going to take a break from Kitchen Notes for a while. When I come back, I'm sure it will be with a slew of great new recipes!
In the meantime, though, please enjoy this recipe for Ginger Molasses Cookies. They are top of my list when it comes to cookie recipes- just so delicious and easy to make!
Ginger Molasses Cookies
2 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 1/2 sticks margarine (Don't substitute butter- it will make the cookies spread too much!)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Demerara sugar, for rolling cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the ginger, margarine, and sugar.
3. Add in molasses and egg. Continue mixing until ingredients are fully combined.
4. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture and blend well.
5. To make each cookie, scoop out an even, small scoop of dough and roll it between your palms to form a ball.
6. Roll each ball in the demerara sugar to coat evenly.
7. Place on baking sheets lined with silpats or parchment paper.
8. Bake at 350° until tops crack and cookies brown.